Wilber Wright, born in 1867, and Orville, born four years later in 1871, were two of five children and will eventually be credited for inventing the aircraft. Although their predecessors, including Sir George Caylee, Jean-Marie Le Brie, Clement Ader, Otto Lilienthal, Octav Shanute and Samuel Pierpont Langley, had attempted to conquer the flight, it was the Wright Brothers who were the first successful controlled, propelled flights heavier aircraft on December 17, 1903 in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, in the form of a flywright, as they apply a systematic approach to solve technological and aerodynamic problems related to flight, focusing on three parameters:
3. Balance and control
The original Wright Flyer is currently on display at the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC
Bishop Milton Wright, Wilbur and Orville's father once stated, "no one can handle the problem alone. As integral twins, they are indispensable to each other."
Dayton itself, served by Dayton International Airport or alternatively, can be accessed by a flight to Cincinnati, followed by a 45-minute northbound Interstate 75 or a flight to Columbus, followed by a 90-minute westbound Interstate 70 Aviation A heritage area whose self-managed Aviation Route includes 13 aviation-related landmarks.
One of the most important of these is the Wright cycle company. At the end of 1892, the Wilber-Orville Joint Printing Company, so far very successful, began to decline in importance and interest turned to bicycle. In the end, both brothers were mechanics and excellent riders, and with sufficient funding, they opened a bicycle shop on West Third Street in Dayton. With increasing demand and the growing need for repair and service, they moved to several consecutively larger stores, eventually designing their own bicycle brand, Van Cleve, thus forming the Wright Cycle Company.
However, the bike proved to be the first step towards the aircraft. Both were mechanically based and the Wright Brothers adopted the technology of aeronautical bicycle design by analyzing their overall handling ability. It was at the back of just such a bike shop where the world's first airplane took shape.
The Wright Cycle Brick Shop, located at 22 William William Street next to Hoover Block, one of only two original Wright Brothers buildings still standing in its original location in the West Side, where Wrights The National Historic Landmark, which was occupied between 1895 and 1897. Today the building has original wooden floors, a workshop, several Wright Van Cleve bicycles and interactive displays demonstrating the application of bicycle technology to the aircraft. and balancing comparisons Enya between the two.
Another significant view of the Wright Brotherhood along the airstrip is the flying field of Huffman Prairie. Although the original flight experiments happened in North Carolina, it quickly became impossible for them to continue flying from there for three main reasons:
1. The distance between North Carolina and Ohio to repair one of the many parts in the more fully equipped workshop in Dayton has become excessive.
2. The Kill Devil Hill sand would eventually damage the engine.
3. The right direction of wind equivalent to flight often fails to come to fruition, resulting in countless days of inactivity.
To remedy the shortcomings, the Wrights were authorized to use cow pastures measuring 84 acres nine miles northeast of Dayton, called the Huffman Prairie, whose clay and cold layer impeded the growth of the trees but still provided a surface soft enough. to tame the hard landings,
It was in this area that the heir to the original Wright Flyer, the Wright Flyer II, was tested. Powered by a larger 15-16hp engine with greater propeller width, the modified, more ambitious design included white spruce wings; longer wingspan 40 feet; reduced wing; a larger fuel tank displaced from the rear; and almost 300 pounds gross weight. Take-offs were achieved with a 250-foot wooden rail, considered the second runway in the world after that of Kitty Hawk.
As the forecast winds failed to provide sufficient air velocity at which they could become airborne, a catapult of 1,200 to 1,600 pounds, raised on September 4, 1904, generated the required rotational speed of 28 mph.
Of the 105 mostly short flights made in 1904, the longest covered three miles and remained at altitude for five minutes and eight seconds. Between 1910 and 1916 the Wright Company operated a flight school here, training more than 100 of the first pilots in the world for the Wright Exhibition Team and the military. In 1917, the US Army Signal Corps purchased the field, along with 2,000 adjacent acres, and renamed it Wilbur Wright Field, later in 1948 establishing the Wright-Paterson Air Force Base.
Today, the Huffman Prairie flying field, the world's first "airport", remains exactly as it was during the Wright Brothers' test flights, with a replica of Wrights & # 39; Hangar since 1905 (again the first in the world), a replica of their National Park Service catapult and interpretive system. The nearby Huffman Prairie Flight Interpretation Center offers exhibits that focus on experimental flights from 1904-1905, the Flight School for 1910-1916 and the history of the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
The Wright Flyer III, another important landmark of the airstrip, is located in the Carillon Historic Park, a 65-acre outdoor museum opened in 1950, whose 24 attractions deal with invention, settlement, industry and transportation. The aircraft, seven feet longer than the Wright Flyer II and the third design evolution after the original Wright Flyer, for the first time includes split wing and rudder control, the previous original longitudinal axial method later achieved with ailerons . With its three axes of flight-slope, rollover and yawning – thus independently controlled until September 1905, the design with larger horizontal and vertical stabilizers and rotating sliders eliminates the stagnant-induced stagnation trends and was able to complete a wide range of aerial maneuvers, including banks, circles and figurines. With a durability of more than 30 minutes, it provides a training aircraft in which countless others have learned to fly.
The 1908 modification included the installation of a more powerful engine, reconfigured controls and, for the first time, securing passengers on the lower wing surface.
The Wright III flyer housed in Carrilon's historic Wright Hall Park has been restored under the personal guidance of Orville.
The United States National Museum of the Air Force, adjacent to the Wright-Paterson Air Force Base and the largest landmark of the airstrip, is the largest and oldest aviation museum in the world and has more than 300 aircraft and 6,000 historic artifacts, located in 17 acres of indoor showcases that span the history of aviation from its inception to the Wright Brothers to current stealth aircraft technology. The facility features an atrium entrance, IMAX theater, gift shop, bookstore, cafe, National Aviation Hall of Fame, outdoor air park and memorial park and seven galleries: early year, air power, contemporary flight, cold war, rockets / space, presidential aircraft and R&D / Test Airplanes Significant exhibits to name but a few include the North American XB-70 Valkyrie, the Wright 1909 military flyer, the Bleriot monoplane, Curtiss JN-4D Jenny, Nieuport 28, Sopwith Camel, Fokker .VII, de Havilland DH.4, Northam the Eric B-25B Mitchell, the Consolidated Liberator of the B-24D, the Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress, the Boeing B-52D Stratosphere, the Convair B-36J Peacemaker, the Boeing WB-50D Superfortress, the Boeing RB-47H Stratojet 71 and Blackheed SR-71H and Blackheed 71 .
For an airline employee, a visit to Dayton, the birthplace of aviation, seems a must. After all, without her, there would be no airline to work in …